Monday, December 14, 2009

"Just For Today" prayer from NA

Just for Today

Just for today, I will try to live through this day only,
and not tackle my whole life problem at once.
I can do something for twelve hours that would appall
me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Just for today, I will be happy.
This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said,
that "most folks are as happy as they make up their
minds to be."

Just for today, I will try to strengthen my mind.
I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be
a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort,
thought and concentration.

Just for today, I will adjust myself to what is, and not
try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take
my "luck" as it comes, and fit myself to it.

Just for today, I will exercise my soul in three ways:
I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out.
I will do at least two things I don't want to--just for exercise.
I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt;
they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

Just for today, I will be agreeable. I will look as well as
I can, dress becomingly, talk low, act courteously,
criticize not one bit, not find fault with anything and
not try to improve or regulate anybody except myself.

Just for today, I will have a program. I may not follow
it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two
pests: hurry and indecision.

Just for today, I will have a quiet half hour all by myself,
and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to
get a better perspective of my life.

Just for today, I will be unafraid. Especially, I will not be
afraid to enjoy what is beautiful, and to believe that
as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.


-Kenneth L. Holmes

No comments:

Post a Comment