Friday, March 9, 2012

Bi Polar treatment naturally: Exercise


Through the years, I have found some actions which help
to alleviate some of the pain and disconnect which occur
regularly when cycling with bi polar disorder (a.k.a. manic
depression.)

It should be noted these are just suggestions for helping to
taper off the severity of this devastating illness, and not in
any way a cure or something to take the place of therapy
and medication. Like most things, it is a regiment of many
positive factors that produces the best results; all factors
coincide to make healing more effective.

Today, I'll focus on physical activity.

Exercise is incredibly important, and even though I have
many physical limitations, I strive to find ways to stay
active. I walk, I do yoga, I do light aerobics (dancing to
music,) and calisthenics. It all depends on mood, weather,
and physical acuity on a particular day what I decide to do.
That's where flexibility and assortment come in handy.

If I'm having a day where I don't feel 'motivated,' I have
learned to make myself do it because I know it is for my
own good, and the end results is that the post-workout
Robert will feel better for having done something, rather
than nothing. Even a mild, brief workout, or several small
and light workouts through a day are better than being
sedentary.

I always make sure to stretch out easily and well; I don't
rush and I don't overextend. I don't have anyone to impress,
and nothing to prove. My health and welfare is always my
top priority.

If I am especially stiff and sore, I'll do a soak in a tub of
Epsom salts. This helps muscles, joints, and relaxation.

On a day where I am sitting at the computer for an especially
long period, I do isometrics, which are toning and flexing
of the muscles in an isolated way so that specific muscles
get worked out. This is a good way to keep from getting
'secretary spread' and blood clotting. I also stand up and
stretch regularly to keep from atrophying.

Yard work is a good release; constantly changing jobs so
I don't overdo it on one motion (and then have hurting
muscles the next day.) Think of it as you would reps in a
workout. 10 minutes raking, 10 minutes squatting for
weeding, short break, 10 minutes hauling heavy stuff, 10
minutes mowing, break, etc. And of course always drinking
plenty of water, no matter the temperature.

When I work at the school, I am standing on a hard floor
most of the day, but I will take a few minutes once an hour
to do some deep bends and stretching to flex the muscles,
and I take a pair of tennis shoes to change into and walk the
campus during a free period.

The point is that I don't allow myself any excuses; not
schedule, time, mood, disability, or physical exhaustion.

No matter your situation or mindset, there is some form of
activity that can be accomplished. It's the effort of self-improve-
ment that has to be centered in the mind, not the apathy that
can sometimes deter us from starting.

And the endorphins released from exertion have a natural calming
and pleasuring effect when entering the bloodstream.

Another side to the exercise is that the better we look and feel,
it's one less thing to weigh on our depression. Keeping busy
and being generally 'in motion' is also a good way to keep your
blood pumping and your oxygen cleaning.  Staying off the couch
and away from the lure of TV, food, and other 'comforts' is a
good alternative.

Remember; Bodies in motion stay in motion, and bodies at rest
stay at rest. The easiest way to start is just to start.

(If you do have physical ailments, check with a physician to see
what sort of exercise you can safely work into your routine!)
*************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment