Monday, January 23, 2012

When I Do That Voodoo That I Do

Time after time, I find myself doing the same foolish thing,
and then magically remembering that I have already made
the discovery-- and decision--to stop doing it!

Why on earth do we make choices that are unnecessary
and put us through hell, often to find ourselves in either
the same old place or one that is familiar enough in its
dissatisfying nature?

Whether it's stress eating (when I really know I'm not
even hungry,) or  getting caught up in a guy that doesn't
even know I exist (which is, of course, part of the maso-
chistic thrill of it,) the habit of doing certain things is a
strong draw.

Habituation takes constant, focused effort to counter-act.

We often want something for no valid reason except that
it is familiar to us; the longer our neurons have fired a
certain way, the more deeply attached we are to it.
(Same goes for our bad choices of mate!)

We get to a point where we have to listen to our conscious
mind and what we intellectually know to be smart, rather
than giving in to our emotional pull which lies to us and
suggests that the negative or poor choice is the one we
'want' since it causes the same old chemical responses
to fire and release!

The process of breaking down old habits for our own
good is a daunting one, and takes will power and patience.

The grass isn't always greener, but our fantasies may
take some time catching up to that.

**************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment