Friday, October 26, 2012

The Bottled Water Debate

What's your eco-footprint?
You hear a lot about the Plastic Bottle Monster, and how the
discarded plastic bottles for drinking water make up an insane
amount of landfill and other waste every year.

But I continue to use the convenient bottles, buying a case a month
for only $3, for health reasons. I dislike re-using an existing plastic
bottle because plastic holds germs and is difficult to clean (I don't
own a dishwasher.) Plastic bottles reused, even when washed well
by hand, can be a germ factory.

Like many, I live in an area where good clean water is not readily
available when you go out. And taking water with me means I have
it whenever I need it, which is always! (I'm constantly thirsty because
I am diabetic, I sweat profusely all the time, and I have meds which
cause severe dry mouth.)

Rather than leave it to chance or put up with bad water, I like to
take it with me. You also avoid touching water fountain handles,
other people's glassware (and I have seen some nasty, unclean junk in
my day--ugh!,) and it's always self-contained. (Again, the problem with
a reusable bottle of your own is needing to constantly clean it, and do
so thoroughly.)

So, to be responsible and conscientious, I simply recycle. I don't see a
problem with that. It's easy to do. There is no recycling in my area, so
I have a large, clean cardboard box under my sink, and I rinse out all my
plastics and drain them, then store them til I go to 'the Big City,' and cart
them with me to the recycling center.

A reusable container is great if you have a dish-washing machine.
A filter is great if you're going to be stationary throughout the course of
the day. But if you travel a lot and are concerned with the germs, I say
just use the bottled water, and make sure you maintain responsibility
for not adding to waste.

**************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment